INTERIORS AND ARTICLE BY TONYA HILL, OPALUS DESIGNS
PHOTOGRAPHY BY JW MOTION & STILL
FIND YOURSELF BEING STAGNANT IN THE SAME DECORATING DOLDRUMS YET ANOTHER YEAR AND CRAVING SOME INSPIRED MOTIVATION FOR YOUR HOME’S DÉCOR?
2022 is the Year of the Tiger and time for you to embrace big changes and daring bold moves. Plunge into unchartered territory and choose, on purpose, that’s right…on purpose… to GAMBLE. Roll your decorating dice and go against your norm. You may even surprise yourself with how a few choice changes and venturesome design enhancements will elevate your interior and your outlook.
IF YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO RISK THE UNUSUAL, YOU WILL HAVE TO SETTLE FOR THE ORDINARY. -JIM ROHN
EMBRACE COLOR ON MORE THAN JUST WALLS
Bold color is the most assured way to revamp your surroundings with exciting impact infused with your style, character, and personality.
· Utilizing colorful accessories like a jade or malachite mirror is one fearless approach that draws attention to an otherwise bland space.
· Experiment with painting interior doors in a color other than white. Incorporating a rich black, charcoal gray, or even a hint of blue will add depth, contrast, and a unique twist to an otherwise overlooked architectural element. Built-in bookcases can also be defined with color. Semi and high-gloss paints add just the right sheen needed.
· If your room’s foundational elements of walls, floors and ceilings are similar in color, add a little life and pizazz to a designated conversation area with a colorful rug. It not only grounds the space but creates a canvas for your furnishings.
· Nothing makes more of a statement than a spectacular work of art. The grander the better and the more colorful, the most engaging. Investing in a piece you love, with colors you are drawn to, is a decision that should be based on personal tastes, not trends. Art that speaks to you will become part of a treasured collection you hold on to for years, so don’t be afraid to splurge. Hanging in a coveted spot, where it’s best viewed from many angles and entry points, attracts you to enjoy every day. Also, feel free to move art around to different rooms and locations for a renewed look.
· Ceilings are the forgotten “fifth wall”. Applying color here is an easy, low investment idea to boost your atmosphere to new heights. Draw your eyes upward by selecting mindful colors—light colors for a soothing airy feel and bold colors to add more drama.
· Lacquering furniture in a high gloss sheen, color of your choice, adds just the right amount of oomph to any piece, to arouse curiosity and captivate an audience Add new life to any vintage pieces with this simple technique. Try a two tone effect in black and white like this desk for added interest.
INTEGRATE TEXTURES TO ADD DEPTH AND DIMENSION
A layered effect is achieved by mixing different textures in one room. Layering adds depth, warmth, dimension and contrast by inviting and engaging your tactile senses. It exudes the look and feel of luxury transcending that luxe hotel-like feel we all crave, no matter our design style.
Mixing velvets with leathers, silks with linens, and smooth with fuzzy textures are examples of how to embody a more upscale vibe. And don’t stop with just fabrics and textiles…. Dimensional design crosses over into your casegoods as well. Think acrylic with lacquered wood for a coffee table, a shagreen console with inlaid marble top, a glass dining table with metal accents. Juxtaposed finishes can also take front and center in your accessories such as providing a backdrop of organic pottery with a shiny metallic accessory in the forefront or an alabaster lamp with gold accents.
BE SELECTIVE: CURATE DETAILS THAT CAN’T BE IGNORED
It goes without saying, details do indeed make a dramatic difference. Invest when and where you can in these smaller fine points. Well thought out custom touches, throughout a room, infuse your surroundings with sophisticated elegance. Something as simple as a contrast colored welt on a pillow is an opportunity to uplift a run of the mill look to a one-of-a-kind statement piece. Here are just a few areas to consider highlighting:
Sculptural Modern Art
Decorative Tapes and Trims
Upholstery with Shaped Flair
One of my favorite areas to add an understated detail is in the dining room. Embellish ordinary seating with a gold cuff handle. Not only is it an element for functionality but also jewelry for your furniture. One bedazzled detail of unique hardware puts a plain Jane chair in the spotlight and beckons any guest to sit in style.
PLAY WITH PATTERN: BRILLIANT AND BEAUTIFUL
Whether your design style is maximalist or minimalist, pattern will immediately inject an unspoken vibrancy to your living space.
· Animal print is a classic addition to any interior setting. It pairs well with neutrals as well as color and is a great textural element for layering. Use sparingly in pillows, benches or recovered chair seats for a high impact focal point.
· Utilizing multiple patterned fabrics alongside solids that can stand on their own really alters the ambiance to any room. Design with no more than 5-6 different fabrics in one room.
· Create your own pattern by mixing solids with varying widths of fabric on your upholstery. Adorn basic upholstery with contrast tape or trim for added refinement.
Patterns can also be showcased ornamentally in flooring, brick and stone work, backsplashes and three dimensional walls. Herringbone continues to be a classic go-to for adding graceful movement. Linear, hexagon and basketweave are other alternatives to consider. Here, less is more for a pared down patterned approach.
DEPENDING ON YOUR RISK TOLERANCE, TAKE THAT LEAP AND INCORPORATE ONE OR A FEW MODERN DESIGN ENHANCEMENTS. YOU WILL BE O SO GLAD YOU DID. xoxo
Tonya Hill, Principal Owner and Designer of the boutique firm Opalus Designs, LLC understands just how transformative the aura of a reinvigorated idyllic environment can be. We collaborate with you to thoughtfully craft all noteworthy details, from start to finish. Your home can have an enhanced ambiance with order, current timeless aesthetics and luxury touches where your senses are engaged, your lifestyle enriched and inspiration is unveiled to simply live better. GRACEFUL LIVING BEGINS NOW
o p a l u s d e s i g n s . c o m | 9 1 9 . 6 0 6 . 2 9 8 0 | @ o p a l u s d e s i g n s l l c