When deciding between new homes and existing resale homes, there are many things to consider before making a purchase. Most people desire granite countertops, updated appliances, and the lack of work needed in a brand new home, but there are still a plethora of advantages that many people don’t consider when deciding whether a new construction home is right for them.
Here is an overview of the advantages of purchasing a new home vs. an existing home:
- A new home usually comes with new, modern materials and updated appliances. There should be a few years before a maintenance man ever steps foot in your house.
- They are typically less hazardous since they are built under the latest building codes.
- Most of the time new homes are covered by warranties, just in case there is ever an issue.
- They generally include a modern layout with large bedrooms, large walk-in closets, open floor plan, etc.
- They usually are built with more energy efficient materials, driving down monthly utility costs.
- Since many details like paint color and light fixtures are chosen upfront, brand new homes are much easier to customize to one’s personal preference.
- New homes are more likely to include the latest technology such as alarm systems, high speed internet, and intercom systems.
- Many new construction homes are built in neighborhoods with top-notch amenities such as swimming pools, tennis courts, parks for children, and walking trails. These will help increase the property value of your home significantly.
The advantages of purchasing new vs. existing come down to lifestyle preferences, financial position, and the priorities you put on modern features like high energy efficiency and your readiness (and budget) when it comes to making repairs. One buyer’s pro is another buyer’s con so only you can determine what is best for you and your family.
See more articles about home mortgages and financing »